Men all over Charleston are abandoning their razors and growing moustaches during the month of November. It’s all part of Movember Charleston, a local initiative of Movember, the global effort committed to bringing awareness to men’s health.
The month’s activities culminate in a “shaving party” and celebration of how much money was raised for prostate and testicular cancers and mental health issues.
How to get involved:
- Men -- known as Mo Bros -- start with a fresh face on Nov. 1 and then set their razors aside for next 30 days.
- Women -- known as Mo Sistas -- can help by encouraging the men in their lives to grow a moustache, raise money and serve as team captains.
- Everyone can help by purchasing a paper moustache for $1 at bars and restaurants around town. Then wear a moustache sticker, take a selfie and post your ‘stache photo to social media using hashtag #movmeberchs.
Funds raised during Movember are used in combating prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health problems and have supported more than 800 men’s health programs. The goal of this annual effort is to make a significant impact on men’s health through increased understanding of the health risks men face, encouraging men to take action to remain well, and ensuring that when men are sick they know what to do and take action.
The men behind Movember Charleston are Michael Brinson, Vision Software; Chris Brown, Holy City Brewing; Chris Engler, web designer; Sean Ferneau, Lowcountry AIDS Services; Morgan Hurley, Mex 1 Coastal Cantina; Paul Roof, Holy City Beard and Moustache Society; and Jerry Lahm, Park Circle Comics. Additional supporters are Palmetto Brewing Co. and South Carolina Stingrays with marketing services provided by the Charleston American Marketing Association.
Movember Charleston Events
- Movember Kick-Off Party at Holy City Brewing: 2-8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 7. Celebrate the launch of Movember Charleston – even if your ‘stache is still small.
- Mo' Diggity ‘Stache Bash at DIG in the Park: 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 14. Pin the moustache game, a giant moustache seesaw plus $2 Budweiser and $4.50 Traveler Brewery beers. Prizes will be awarded for best, worst and creepiest ‘stache.
- Moustache Competition: 7-11 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 22 at Mex 1 Coastal Cantina. Local celebrity judges, including Chris Brown of Holy City Brewing and members of the Holy City Beard and Moustache Society, will pick the winners. Enjoy prizes, an ice luge, live music and awareness and fundraising for prostate and testicular cancer.
- Grow Out Blow Out Finale for Movember Charleston: 6-9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5 at Palmetto Brewing Co. Contest for best moustaches plus local brews, food and live music.
For more information, visit movembercharleston.com. Also, connect with Movember Charleston on Facebook at www.facebook.com/movembercharleston and on Instagram @movembercharleston. Share moustache photos with hashtag #movemberchs